I’ve included here some personal reflections on things I’ve found to be true more often than not.
- Audiences want you to do well – so give them a reason to!
- People can listen or read but they cant do both at the same time – annihilate text on your slides.
- Understand your audiences communication style – and tailor if you can.
- Recognise their prior experiences with your topic.
- Audiences expect you to be a little nervous – it shows you care.
- Be authentic – be the best you can be
- Don’t try to be someone else – they’ll see through it
- Be the best version of your self
- Discover what you can and cant do – don’t wing it
- Rehearse and rehearse and rehearse
- Emotions follow actions – so move!
About Visual Aides
- They are there to support you, not dominate your presentation
- Plan your presentation then develop your visual aids
- Some people are colour blind – use high contrast colours
- Use a variety of visuals; projector, white board, artefacts etc
- Be courageous
- You really are capable of more than you think
- Maximise your strengths
- Work on your weaknesses if they inhibit you
- Get feedback – you are never as bad as you think
- Get feedback – you not as good as you think