Physical Activity, Mindfulness Meditation, or Heart Rate Variability Biofeedback for Stress Reduction
In their recent” study (van der Zwan et al. 2015) found that
“…physical activity, mindfulness meditation, and heart rate variability biofeedback can all play a positive role in the reduction of stress and stress-related symptoms when carried out in a self-directed way. Since greater compliance is often associated with better results, the best intervention for someone may be the intervention that one finds easiest to commit to. An advantage of these self-help interventions is that they provide easily accessible help for people with stress complaints.”
There are a lot of resources to help us exercise and practice mindful meditation. HRV biofeedback can be achieved by downloading any number of apps and can cost anywhere from $12.00 to $380.00, as well as using your Apple watch.
In order to get ourselves practicing these body hacks we need a bit of discipline. Pat Framer the Australian Ultra Marathon Runner gives us his top five tips in achieving your goal or personal best (Chander 2016):
- Have a purpose – what you’re working towards
- Work out your timing put times and dates to everything and keep yourself accountable
- Work on all the support mechanisms – make sure your diet and lifestyle are in good shape
- Give yourself the best opportunity to be the best – make sure you have all the gear, running gear, a place to meditate or a biofeedback device.
- Let your family and friends know – don’t do it on your own
So set an early NY resolution to reduce your stress!
CHANDER, C 2016, Five simple ways to beat your PB, @newscomauHQ, viewed 17 Dec, <https://www.news.com.au/feature/special-features/five-simple-ways-to-beat-your-pb/news-story/54b1e58422eb68f52c217bf4c581b89d>.
van der Zwan, JE, de Vente, W, Huizink, AC, Bögels, SM & de Bruin, EI 2015, ‘Physical Activity, Mindfulness Meditation, or Heart Rate Variability Biofeedback for Stress Reduction: A Randomized Controlled Trial’, Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback, vol. 40, no. 4, December 01, pp. 257-268.